You may call it the ball of your foot, but at least a portion of the ball of your foot is made up of the metatarsals. The metatarsals of your feet are composed of five bones that connect to your toes, as well as form an arch that carries a large amount of your weight when standing and pushing off with each step.
Ball of foot pain, also known as metatarsalgia, is a general term used to describe pain that effects the bones and joints in the ball of your foot. The condition is caused by inflammation, pain, and sometimes even tearing of surrounding ligaments and tissues.
Symptoms of the condition can include a burning, aching, or sharp pain right behind the toes, but can also include a general tenderness in the front of the foot. Pain may increase when standing, walking, or even flexing the feet.
Treatment for Metatarsalgia
Fortunately, there are a lot of options for relieving the pain caused by metatarsalgia. Of course, rest, ice, and anti-inflammatories are often advised, but if you aren’t able, or willing, to sit back and relax to give your feet time to rest, there are some products to help cushion your painful feet. Here are just a few of our customers’ favorite ball of foot pain products.
- Metatarsal Gel Cushions – Our gel cushions are made out of a silicone gel material and are ergonomically designed to fit perfectly under the metatarsal area of your foot to treat all types of ball foot pain. The pads then absorb pressure with every step you take. They can ease symptoms of metatarsalgia, Morton’s neuroma, sesamoiditis, fractures, and other injuries. Unlike other kinds of foot pads, they won’t move out of place because they aren’t held by adhesive. Instead, they come with a stretchy, comfortable single toe loop or double toe loop that secures them in place.
- Fabric Metatarsal Sleeve with Cushioned Gel Pad – If you lead an active lifestyle, your feet are under constant pressure and pounding when running, walking, or even standing up a lot. When your shoes don’t support your feet enough, it can result in calluses, swelling, pain, and other conditions. Our gel-infused foot pads help provide extra cushioning at the ball of the foot to redistribute weight and provide shock-absorbing comfort across the entire foot pad. These comfortable sleeves stay in place whether wearing high heels, running shoes, loafers, boots, or other types of footwear for all day comfort.
- Metatarsal Gel Pads – Don’t cause yourself skin irritation by sticking metatarsal pads to your feet. Instead, give our Metatarsal Gel Pads that stick to your shoes, instead of your skin, a try. Neuroma, metatarsalgia, sesamoiditis, and other foot conditions can result in pain that prevents you from living an active lifestyle. That’s why we developed our gel metatarsal pads to create padded support for the ball of your foot. They are made with medical grade silicone gel for long-lasting comfort allowing you to stay active without worrying about foot pain.
- Fabric Metatarsal Sleeve Gel Pads – Our metatarsal foot pads help provide the perfect amount of support to the ball of your foot to relieve tension, stress, and pain. They are lightweight with just the right amount of compression to alleviate foot and arch pain, tired and fatigued feet, and provide comfort when running, walking, or just standing. Simply slide the sleeve over your big toe and wrap them around your foot. They will stay in place all day without bunching or sliding. Sized to fit both women and men, they come in a package of two so both feet can have long-lasting comfort all day.
- Felt Metatarsal Pads – Our ¼” premium felt cushions protect your feet from pain caused by metatarsalgia, sesamoiditis, neuromas, and other painful ball of foot conditions. One size will fit most women and men and can adhere directly to the foot or shoe to meet your preferences. The pads also prevent your foot from sliding forward when wearing high heels, so get out those dancing shoes! One package includes 6 pairs of pads (12 pads).