How is hammer toe treated?
If your hammer toe is still in early stages it's often possible to address the condition simply by avoiding tight-fitting shoes. Once the hammer toe reaches later stages and the toe is more bent, other interventions are usually needed.
Some treatments for hammer toe include:
- Toe straightener pads that help to reposition the toe
- Exercises like stretching the foot and picking up objects with your toes
- Cold packs and over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and aspirin may be used to ease pain and swelling
- Surgery on the tendons in the toe that allow it to lie flat again
- Surgical removal of a portion of the phalanges bone in the toe